Mar 9, 2011

Day 54 - Indulgence

Still crazy with the Italians in town; today included a tasting, an interview, lunch, 8 more interviews and a dinner tonight... Today was also when I chose to have my indulgence meal, which I would have been more excited about had I had time to think about it. Either way, I had lunch at a wonderful restaurant called Otto e Mezzo. The food was amazing: Marinated Beef Tenderloin on a carpaccio of vegetables and crispy parmesan, homemade tagliolini of Boston lobster and bottartga, rucola and hot peppers, lamb medallion and lamb shank with whipped potato, parsley teleggio sauce and a lemon tart with citrus salad and a blood orange sorbet.

What's interesting though now that I look at it, is that this is not a million miles off being a PCP friendly meal. The portions were all small, the seasoning was kept to a minimum and there's a healthy mix of vegetables, protein and carbs. Go figure, no wonder it tasted so good... I did also try all the wines as well (sensible amounts rather than a large glass of each).

It's actually been fascinating talking with the Italians, and I love their approach to food. Great ingredients prepared simply with minimum fuss and a good balance between the different food groups. Consequently I'm feeling pretty good and my body hasn't reacted badly at all. This does encourage me as well that you can eat exceptionally well and keep it pretty healthy too. Admittedly the pudding was a treat, but it really was delicious and so small and delicate that I really appreciated it - a far cry from a bowl of ice cream....

Hitting the gym tonight and ready for another day of tastings tomorrow....

4 comments:

  1. Can you recommend some wines for us sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM... you did just fine! I am having my idulgence at the opening of a new Italian resto in Vancouver on Tuesday. I hope I can be half as sensible! Not likely... Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete